Saturday 3 December 2016

Man shot twice in latest Dublin gun attack is named locally

Victim fighting for life after morning shooting

Ken Foy, Cathal McMahon and Robin Schiller

Published 05/07/2016 | 10:09

Scene of shooting in Dun Emer Place, Lusk. Picture: Mark Condren
Scene of shooting in Dun Emer Place, Lusk. Picture: Mark Condren
Gardai examine a bullet cartridge at the scene. Photo: Niall Carson/PA Wire
Forensic officers and Garda at the scene. Photo: Niall Carson/PA Wire
Forensic officers and Garda at the scene. Photo: Niall Carson/PA Wire
Forensic officers and Garda at the scene. Photo: Niall Carson/PA Wire
A pair of jeans at the scene. Photo: Niall Carson/PA Wire
Gardai at the scene of a shooting at the Dun Emer housing development in Lusk. Photo: Niall Carson/PA Wire
Clothing at the scene. Photo: Niall Carson/PA Wire
Scene of shooting in Dun Emer Place, Lusk. Picture: Mark Condren

Gardaí now believe the victim of Dublin's latest gun attack was shot twice - once in the body and once in the head.

  • Go To

He was sitting in the driver seat of his parked Volkswagen Passat when the hitman approached and fired the shots through a window.

Scene of shooting in Dun Emer Place, Lusk. Picture: Mark Condren
Scene of shooting in Dun Emer Place, Lusk. Picture: Mark Condren

The victim has been named locally as Christopher Maguire.

He is originally from Ballymun and previously lived in Dunboyne, Co Meath. He is currently living in the Dun Emer estate. 

The 38-year-old victim was clinging to life on Tuesday evening after he was shot twice near his home in Lusk, North Dublin shortly before 10 am.

Sources say that the man has associates who are members of the so-called New INLA and gardai are investigating these connections.

Close associates of the man are believed to have become involved in the deadly Kinahan/Hutch fued. The shot man was not directly involved in the gang war but officers are examining whether today's gun attack is linked to the ongoing feud.

Two of his closest pals have fled the country after being investigated over the murder of Gareth Hutch – the eighth in the bloody Hutch/Kinahan feud.

Scene of the shooting in Lusk. Picture: Robin Schiller
Scene of the shooting in Lusk. Picture: Robin Schiller

While Mr Maguire had no involvement in this killing, one line of inquiry is that he was targeted because of his links with the chief suspects.

He is also a close associate of notorious dissident Declan 'Whacker' Duffy.

Mr Maguire, who is originally from Ballymun, is facing charges before the non-jury Special Criminal Court where he, Duffy and another man are charged with three counts of false imprisonment at The Towers, Garters Lane, Saggart, on June 9, 2015.

Gardaí said the suspected getaway car – a Volkswagen Golf – was seen leaving the area and was discovered burnt out at Kilhedge Lane, Lusk a short time after this morning's shooting.

The victim was treated at the scene and later rushed to Beaumont Hospital where gardaí say he is in a critical condition.

Gardaí from Balbriggan and Lusk sealed off the cul de sac this morning and it remained closed this afternoon.

The driver-side window of a white Volkswagen Passat at the scene was smashed, with glass on the ground.

There were also blood-soaked towels and a pair of jeans lying beside the car.

Gardai were seen picking up fragments of potential evidence on the ground.

Locals expressed their shock at the news of the shooting, as young children playing nearby looked on at detectives sealing off this morning’s crime scene.

One local man, who lives near to where the shooting took place, said that he didn’t hear any shots, and only became aware of the incident when emergency services responded.

“I only came out when I saw the flashing lights. I don’t know the people living in that house,” he said.

Children on their school holidays had been playing in the area at the time of the attack, with one mother saying it was “lucky” that none of the kids were caught up in the attempted gangland hit.

Another woman, who did not wish to be identified, said that she noticed a lone man she did not recognise sitting in a vehicle just minutes before the shooting. Gardai are also gathering CCTV footage from a nearby address which may have captured the shooter fleeing the scene in the aftermath of the attack.

The ongoing Hutch and Kinahan feud has already claimed the lives of nine people since last September.

The latest victim was David 'Daithí' Douglas who was gunned down outside his wife's shop on Bridgefoot Street in Dublin's South Inner city last Friday.

Gardaí have appealed for anyone who was in or around the Dun Emer area or Kilhedge Lane, Lusk this morning and who may have seen anything unusual, is asked to contact Balbriggan Garda Station on 01 - 8020510, The Garda Confidential Telephone Line 1800  666 111 or any Garda Station.

Online Editors

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News