Tuesday 26 September 2017

Man (30s) arrested over gangland murders of innocent Ballymun victims released without charge

Antoinette Corbally and Clinton Shannon
The Volkswagen Golf used in the shooting. Picture: Garda Press office
The Opel Zafira used in the shooting. Picture: Garda Press office
The Opel Zafira lay in wait for up to an hour. Picture: Garda Press office
Cathal McMahon

Cathal McMahon

A man arrested by gardaí investigating the gangland murders of an innocent mum and businessman has been released without charge.

The man, aged in his 30s, was arrested on Monday and taken to Ballymun garda station was released on Friday night.

A file will now be prepared for the DPP.

Mother-of-six Antoinette Corbally (48) and Clinton Shannon (30), who were gunned down on August 16.

Antoinette Corbally and Clinton Shannon
Antoinette Corbally and Clinton Shannon

Antoinette's pregnant daughter Andrea (18) and another man Brian Moran (52) suffered minor injuries in the incident.

Hitmen were attempting to murder Ms Corbally's brother Derek 'Bottler' Devoy but he escaped completely unharmed.

Derek ‘Bottler ‘Devoy pictured at the scene of the shooting on Balbutcher Drive Ballymun.
Derek ‘Bottler ‘Devoy pictured at the scene of the shooting on Balbutcher Drive Ballymun.

Their funerals took place yesterday morning in Ballymun and Laytown.

Devoy (37), whose brother Mickey was shot dead in 2014, was the intended target of the attack, in which a kill team waited in a car for him to arrive home before launching the gun attack.

Two hitmen connected to the deadly Hutch mob are being blamed for the bloodbath.

Gardai initially believed that the murders marked an escalation in a bitter local feud that saw a number of violent incidents in the 36 hours before the murders, but have since ruled this theory out.

Associates of Devoy blame the killings on a north inner city hit team associated with the Hutch mob that had been planning to murder the career criminal.

Among the two criminals being blamed by Devoy's gang is the chief suspect for the 2014 slaying of Bottler's brother, Michael 'Mad Mickey' Devoy (41), who was murdered shortly after his release from Portlaoise Prison.

His body was discovered riddled with bullets on the side of a road in Bohernabreena, at the foothills of the Dublin Mountains, on January 18, 2014. The military-trained hitman behind the attack on 'Bottler' two weeks ago is aged in his mid-20s and is also a suspect in the Hutch/Kinahan feud murder of Michael Keogh, killed by the Hutch mob in the north inner city in May.

The other suspected hitman has been closely monitored by gardai. They believe he could be used at a "minute's notice" to carry out the murder of a rival Kinahan cartel member. Aged in his 40s, he has been out of jail since 2013.

He served a lengthy prison sentence after being busted following a major surveillance operation by the gardai's Organised Crime Unit.

Detective Superintendent Colm Fox, who is leading the investigation, said the cars that were used in the murder had been bought weeks before.

He added that a silver Opel Zafira - registration 08-LS-3101 - was parked beside a building site at the junction of Balbutcher Lane and Balbutcher Drive for at least an hour before the shooting.

"From this vantage point, the occupants had a clear view of the location where the murders took place," he said.

"When the intended target of the gunmen drove into Balbutcher Drive, the Opel Zafira left its vantage point and followed the intended target to the location of the murders.

"The intended target escaped injury. However, two innocent persons were murdered and two others were injured."

Gardai are now asking members of the public if they noticed this vehicle parked beside the building site on the day of the murder, or indeed at any other time.

Following the double killing, the occupants abandoned the Zafira and fled the scene on foot through bollards at the end of Balbutcher Drive on to Cranogue Terrace. A black Volkswagen Golf GTI - registration number 06-LH-3466 - was waiting and drove them away.

It travelled across Ballymun in the direction of Ikea, on through the Northwood business, retail and housing development and into Santry Close, where it was set on fire.

Gardai are appealing for witnesses or anyone with any information to contact them at:

•     Ballymun Garda Station 01-6664400

•     Garda Confidential line 1800666111

•     E-Mail:  Ballymun_Incident_Room@garda.ie

Online Editors

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News