Tuesday 25 April 2017

Man (30) shot in North Dublin to undergo painful surgery after bullet 'shattered hip'

Gardai investigate the shooting of a man near Balbutcher Road in Ballymun in Dublin. Picture: Arthur Carron
Gardai investigate the shooting of a man near Balbutcher Road in Ballymun in Dublin. Picture: Arthur Carron
Gardai investigate the shooting of a man near Balbutcher Road in Ballymun in Dublin. Picture: Arthur Carron
Gardai investigate the shooting of a man near Balbutcher Road in Ballymun in Dublin. Picture: Arthur Carron
Gardai investigate the shooting of a man near Balbutcher Road in Ballymun in Dublin. Picture: Arthur Carron

Cathal McMahon and Alan O'Keeffe

A man shot and injured in North Dublin late last night will have to undergo painful surgery after a bullet shattered his hip and lodged in his body.

The victim, named locally as Glen Kiely, was shot at least twice as he went to move a vehicle out of his driveway in Balcurris Park West, Ballymun shortly before 11pm.

Up to five shots were fired at Kiely (30).

One of the bullets shattered his hip and lodged in his body. He will have to undergo surgery today to have it removed.

Gardaí have not identified a clear motive for the attack but one theory being examined is that Kiely was not the intended target.

Detectives do not believe last night's shooting was connected to the ongoing Hutch/Kinahan feud.

Gardai investigate the shooting of a man near Balbutcher Road in Ballymun in Dublin. Picture: Arthur Carron
Gardai investigate the shooting of a man near Balbutcher Road in Ballymun in Dublin. Picture: Arthur Carron

Kiely has over 40 previous convictions and was previously jailed for his part in a violent attack on a man.

A court heard that Kiely had brought a knuckle duster and a hurley to this assault off Balbutcher Lane in November 2013. Two others were also involved in the attack.

The victim suffered what was described as a "severe beating" but no formal complaint was made.

Kiely was sentenced to three-and-a-half years in prison with the final 12 months suspended by Judge Patricia Ryan on October 19, 2015 for the attack.

But last summer the Court of Criminal Appeal suspended a further 12 months.

Evidence was heard during his appeal hearing that Kiely suffered from addiction problems and had 47 previous convictions.

Residents of Balcurris Park West in Ballymun spoke of their shock and horror at the attack last night.

"I was at home when I heard five shots. They went bang, bang, bang, bang, bang," said a 45-year-old mother-of-three.

"I knew it wasn't fireworks. It sounded like a gun. Then I heard the sound of a car speeding away," she said.

She said she went outside and saw people gathering together just a few doors away from where the shooting happened.

Another woman said: "The car was going at high speed. Like the sound of a cop car chasing somebody. Then it hit the speed ramp and there was a big bang."

"We went out and saw everybody coming out into their gardens and the fire brigade and the police came," she said.

A 30-year-old woman who was also in the area said: "The shots were fired real fast. The car hit the ramp at high speed. By the time I got out the door the car was well gone.

"Everything was very quiet after that. The guards weren't long cordoning off everything."

Small groups of people stood together in the darkness near the garda cordon, speaking quietly among themselves.

Shortly before 11.30pm, an ambulance was seen driving away from the area with its blue lights on, followed closely by an unmarked garda car with blue lights flashing.

Local TD Noel Rock (FG) said he was shocked to learn of another Dublin shooting.

"It feels like not a day goes by without another shooting in the city. Gardaí are clearly doing the best they can with the resources they have. It's clear that we need a renewed crackdown on those who hold firearms."

Online Editors

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News