Wednesday 18 October 2017

Log cabins advertised to rent for €700 removed from website after backlash

An advertisement for the properties in Carrigaline, Co Cork
An advertisement for the properties in Carrigaline, Co Cork
Cathal McMahon

Cathal McMahon

An advertisement for €700 per month log cabins has been removed after a backlash online and on the airwaves.

The “brand new” one-bed log cabins are located close to the town of Carrigaline, Co Cork and, according to an online advertisement, they come with “all the mod cons of double glazed windows” and “polished pine flooring”.

They were listed last Wednesday at a price of €700 per month with a minimum term of one year.

However Independent.ie has learned that the listing for the unique properties was removed from property websites just 24 hours later after the owners and letting agent were criticised online and on a Cork radio station.

A source said the cabins are no longer available to rent and no decision has been made as to whether they will be re-advertised.

The one-bed log cabins were described in the advertisement as being located seven minute walk from the town of Carrigaline.

They come with “all the mod cons of double glazed windows polished pine flooring”.

The advertisement continues: “This little gem of property comes with Sitting room/ Dining room combined together, a small kitchen, big enough to do your cooking.”

The cabins also come with a four ring Bottle gas cooker, washing machine and under counter fridge. The bathroom has a toilet and electric shower.

One young couple said they were left fuming when they saw the listing for the properties.

Sarah Egar explained that she and her partner live in Carrigaline and are currently looking for a place to rent.

She told Independent.ie that she received a notification about the new property last week.

“This ‘hut’ was an insult to people who are desperate to find a home. There are people who would consider viewing and signing a contract for rent because they have no choice,” she said.

Ms Egar was not alone in her outrage and a number of people voiced their anger online and on the airwaves.

The result was almost immediate with the properties removed from the website just 24 hours later.

Ms Egar said she was delighted that the owners “saw sense”.

“I noticed that the property was featured on a local radio station social media page. I went to search for it again and it was taken down. More than likely for the bad attention it warranted as comments featured 'shame on you' to the property agent for getting involved.

“It should be a lesson learned,” she said.

Independent.ie contacted the letting agent but he declined to comment and added that the owner did not wish to make a comment.

Online Editors

Independent.ie Comments Facility

INM has taken the decision to remove the commenting facility on its online platform Independent.ie to minimise the legal risk to our business that arises from Ireland's draconian libel awards system.

We continue to look forward to receiving comments through direct email contact or via social media, some of which may still be featured on the website Independent.ie


Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News