Saturday 22 October 2016

'I couldn't leave a legacy like that behind me...I had to clear my name' - Retired garda claims he was falsely accused of House of Horrors abuse

Published 03/05/2016 | 08:08

Frank and Ellen Mullen
Frank and Ellen Mullen
Cynthia Owen
NOT QUIZZED: the late Peter Murphy

A retired garda, who claims he has been accused of child abuse and covering up the murder of a newborn baby, has gone public to clear his name.

  • Go To

Frank Mullen has told reporters that all allegations against him are completely false.

Speaking to the Irish Examiner Mr Mullen, a founding member of the Garda Representative Association (GRA), said he has been accused by Cynthia Owen of being involved in a paedophile ring to which she was hired out as a child by her parents.

He said: “We’re five generations in Dalkey and I couldn't leave a legacy like that behind me, he said. I had to clear my name before I departed this world.”

The so-called Dalkey House of Horrors came to light 12 years ago when Ms Owen first made her allegations.

She claimed that she was abused by 12 men, including her deceased father Peter, in the dysfunctional Dublin home.

Ms Owen also claimed that she was the mother of a baby whose body was found in Dún Laoghaire in 1973 with multiple stab wounds.

A coroners court in 2007 ruled she was the mother of baby Noleen, conceived as the result of a rape.

Mr Mullen claims Ms Owen accused him of being involved in a cover-up during the investigation into the baby’s death.

The former garda, who is now 78 said the allegations have had a devastating impact on the lives of him, his family, and the other men named by Ms Owen.

“All of us whom she accused were well known within the community so maybe that was why she used our names,” he said.

“That’s the only reason we can think of. None of it is true and it has had a devastating effect on my family.”

Mr Mullen’s wife said the whole family has suffered as a result of the allegations and the media attention. She claimed blacked out photos of Mr Mullen have appeared in papers and these have been recognised by their daughter.

Mr Mullen says he was prompted to go public as he believes the gardaí have failed to properly vindicate him.

A file on Ms Owen's allegations has been sent to the DPP eight times in the last decade, with a result each time of no prosecution being recommended.

The allegations were also the focus of a review by the Minister for Justice and a HSE investigation - neither of which came to a definitive conclusion.

Ms Owen, who eventually escaped to Wales when she was 15, wrote a book about the abuse and has repeatedly called for a public inquiry into the incidents.

“It’s gone on for over 10 years and different chief supers have given me promises that my name would be cleared, he said.

“The file has never been finished and my name has not been properly vindicated. I carried out my own investigations and gave them the information but that doesn’t appear to have been taken into account.”

Ms Owen wrote a book about her upbringing and has repeatedly called for a public inquiry into the affair. Last year, a panel set up to review garda malpractice in over 200 cases, ruled that no further investigation was merited in investigating Ms Owen s allegations.

Throughout the whole ordeal, Mr Mullen has protested his innocence and is hoping by going public he will finally clear his name.

Online Editors

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News