How to ask for a raise
* Do your research – check the market, look at salary surveys, have a realistic understanding of your worth.
* Share your research with the boss to back up your claim.
* Pick the right time – no point in asking for a raise when redundancies have just been announced.
* Do it face to face.
* Pick a time when the boss is susceptible, not when he/she is under pressure – you won't get a hearing.
* Use the threat of leaving – you might be taken up on your offer.
* Be put off – if you don't get it now at least you've started the conversation and indicated your expectations.
* Leave it too late in the year – ask before management start the pay deliberations.
* Nag – everyone hates a nag, so don't annoy the boss.
* Bother if you know there isn't even a vague possibility!