Gardai step up enquiries into daylight rape claim
Published 27/08/2014 | 02:30
Gardai have extended their enquiries into a claim by a young woman that she was raped by three men, who dragged her down a laneway in daylight.
The woman, who is aged 20, told gardai she was on her way to work when she was grabbed by the men, who had been drinking cans of beer nearby.
The alleged incident took place at about 7.45pm on Sunday in a laneway across from Phibsboro church and leading into Cabra Park, on the northside of Dublin city.
The woman said the three men had tried to start a conversation with her but she did not engage with them and kept walking.
She was then dragged into the laneway where one of the men held her on the ground while a second sexually attacked her and the third kept watch.
The "lookout" fled during the incident while the others ran off afterwards, the woman said.
She contacted the Gardai afterwards and was taken to the sexual assault unit at the Rotunda hospital for medical treatment.
Officers have carried out house-to-house enquiries and are also examining footage taken from CCTV cameras in the area.
They have also appealed to anybody who saw a group of men drinking cans of beer or "hanging around" the area between 7pm and 8pm on Sunday to contact them at Mountjoy station (telephone 01 6668600), or phone the confidential line at 1800 666111.
The suspects have been described by the woman as aged in their early 20s and Irish.
"Three men are believed to have been involved in this incident. The main culprit involved is described as being 5’9”, skinny build, shaved blonde hair with a light facial stubble," a garda statement reads.
"He is also described as having facial scaring. He was wearing grey cotton trousers with a white stripe down the side, a grey jumper with a hood and black runners."
The second man is described as being 6ft with a thin face and dark eyes.
"He was wearing a dark grey sweatshirt with a hood, he has what is described as a distinctive scar on his left hand. No description is available for the third man," the statement continues.
Irish IndependentFollow @Independent_ie