Gardai review CCTV footage after Battle of Kinsale tourist signs stolen
Published 06/09/2016 | 10:28
Gardai have launched an investigation into the theft of a number of signs at a popular Irish heritage site.
Local historians have called for action after at least three signs marking the historical Battle of Kinsale have gone missing.
CCTV footage in the area is currently being reviewed and enquiries are being made being made, a garda spokesperson told independent.ie.
Members of the Kinsale History Society previously called attention to the "atrocious state" of signage erected to mark the 1601 battle.
The Battle of Kinsale was one of the most important in Irish history when a Spanish fleet occupied the historic Co Cork port.
Last month, the society called on the Cork County Council to improve this signage - and to alert them to the fact that at least two signs located around the harbour town had gone "missing".
"The society is appalled by the current condition of the historical markers," it said in early August.
However, last week, the society turned to social media to complain that another sign had been stolen on the morning of September 3.