Sunday 25 September 2016

Foreign Affairs reviews Tunisia safety as UK recalls tourists

Published 10/07/2015 | 02:30

Police patrol the beach in the resort of Sousse
Police patrol the beach in the resort of Sousse

The Department of Foreign Affairs is urgently reviewing its travel advice for Tunisia after British holidaymakers were warned another terror attack is "highly likely" and told to leave the country.

  • Go To

Irish citizens were last night still being told "to take extreme care" if travelling to the north African country, despite the UK warning against all but essential travel there amid fears of a fresh terror attack. The UK Foreign & Commonwealth Office (FCO) told tourists that a terrorist attack is "highly likely".

The Department of Foreign Affairs said officials have noted the updated travel advice. "The department is urgently reviewing its travel advice in consultation with the appropriate agencies," a spokeswoman added.

The move comes in the wake of a terrorist attack that left three Irish people - Lorna Carty and Larry and Martina Hayes - and 35 others shot dead in the resort of Sousse last month.

Irish tour operators Sunway and Just Sunshine last week suspended all charter flights to Tunisia. Meanwhile, British tour operators are arranging extra flights to get holidaymakers home.

Irish Independent

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News