Saturday 3 December 2016

Family of slain man tell of costly battle for his children

Published 10/08/2015 | 02:30

Jason Corbett was found dead in his home in North Carolina last Monday
Jason Corbett was found dead in his home in North Carolina last Monday
The late Jason Corbett with his children Sarah and Jack

The family of a Limerick man killed in the US last week has spent tens of thousands of euro trying to return his body and children to Ireland.

  • Go To

Jack (10) and Sarah (8) Corbett were put in the custody of the Department of Social Services (DSS) in the US last week after their father Jason was killed.

The late Jason Corbett
The late Jason Corbett

Jason Corbett (39) suffered fatal head injuries after a domestic incident in his home in North Carolina.

The DSS has put the children in the care of his wife Molly Martens Corbett, who is the main suspect in the case.

Mr Corbett's sister Tracey Lynch and her husband David have flown to the US with friends and family in order to bring the children back to Ireland. Mr Lynch said they have already spent thousands in legal fees but conceded that it is not enough.

"We are after throwing tens of thousands of euros at this on attorneys this week and attorneys are not going to sort this out, the politicians are going to sot this out with us," he said.

"It shouldn't need anyone to intervene. These children are here illegally now. They should be handed over to us," he added.

The couple have brought a copy of Jason's will with them to the US.

It states that his children are to be put into Tracey and David's care.

Mr Corbett was widowed in 2006 when the children's mother Mags passed away after suffering an asthma attack. Sarah was just 12 weeks old at the time.

"Before Tracey boarded a flight in Ireland, she was told by the Department of Social Services here that they were going to go to the house, take the kids and give them to Tracey," said Mr Lynch.

Intervene

"When she arrived in New York they rang Tracey and told her that they were going to give them to Molly," he added.

"When Tracey asked how can she see them they basically told her that there is nothing that they can do.

"We have not seen or spoke to the children. Tracey spoke to one of them for about 10 seconds when we were in the car before we left."

The family are calling on the Irish Government to intervene in the case.

Mr Lynch said that both Jack and Sarah moved to the US on their father's visa four years ago.

Irish Independent

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News