Families return to halting site in Dundalk
Published 16/01/2016 | 13:58
A number of families evicted from a halting site in Dundalk yesterday returned to their mobile homes last night.
A number of families who were not placed in emergency accommodation last night returned to the halting site they had been evicted from earlier that day.
Residents reported that six mobile homes and up to eight caravans remain at the site.
A Garda operation to remove the temporary homes is ongoing. Equipment to remove the homes is expected on the Louth site on Monday.
Reports had previously suggest a "stand-off" with gardaí, although a representative from An Garda Siochana told Independent.ie that they are "monitoring the situation" and that there is "no situation, no incident".
On Thursday night, Louth County Council met with Traveller representatives to agree on temporary accommodation for the 17 families involved.
The council will also work to secure long-term accommodation for Travellers.
Louth TD Gerry Adams said that the decision to evict 17 families was "unreasonable and unnecessary".
Woodland Park was formerly an official halting site but it was closed in 2008.