Emergency services extinguish industrial estate blaze after 24 hours
Published 30/04/2015 | 10:53
Emergency services have extinguished a fire in a Dublin industrial estate this morning which raged for approximately 24 hours.
Enormous plumes of smoke could be seen from the M50 following a fire which broke out in a storage unit on Ballymount Industrial Estate on Dublin’s southside yesterday.
The fire started at ‘Store It’, a storage facility which caters for businesses and households.
A press officer for Dublin Fire Brigade said: “The fire was extinguished at around 10am but we will have two fire crews there dampening down the building for the rest of the day.
The fire crews prevented the fire spreading through the rest of the building.”
Ten units of Dublin Fire Brigade were called out to the scene at 10.15am, which included two aerial units and one incident-command unit. Workers in the adjacent buildings were evacuated promptly. There were no confirmed casualties as a result of the fire.
Fire brigade personnel said they were confident that no toxic materials burned in the inferno and the smoke released should not pose a significant health risk to people in the area.
Fire crews told the Irish Independent that changeable winds made the fire difficult to contain.
In January 2014 there was a fire in the same industrial estate that took three days to extinguish. That fire started in the Oxigen recycling facility and was the result of arson. Another fire was started in a carpet centre nearby that same week.