Saturday 10 December 2016

Donald Trump cancels trip to Ireland next week

Published 15/06/2016 | 09:54

HOPEFUL: Donal Trump pictured at Doonbeg in west Clare. Photo: Kip Carroll
HOPEFUL: Donal Trump pictured at Doonbeg in west Clare. Photo: Kip Carroll

US Presidential hopeful Donald Trump has cancelled his trip to Ireland next week, according to reports.

  • Go To

The property billionaire was pencilled in to make a trip to his golf and hotel resort in Doonbeg, County Clare.

However, information released by Trump’s press team has failed to show any Irish leg to the trip, website Irish Central.com has revealed.

Stephanie Grisham, Press Tour Director for the Trump campaign, said that Mr Trump’s would be only to Scotland.

There was no information on why there was no Irish aspect to the trip.

Mr Trump was criticised for his remarks on the Orlando massacre on Monday by Minister for Social Protection, Leo Varadkar who described them as “crass” and “tasteless”.

However, at the time, Mr Varadkar said politicians still should meet Mr Trump.

Mr Trump had tweeted that he appreciated the “congrats for being right on radical Islamic terrorism”, following the horrific incident.

“In relation to Mr Trump's contribution, I thought it was pretty crass and I thought it was pretty tasteless and it’s unfortunate to see anyone from any political perspective trying to exploit really, an event like this,” said Mr Varadkar.

“To make out somehow that they got it right all along. It’s very disappointing to see that and I’m glad we don’t quite have that kind of politics in Ireland.”

He said he had not received an invitation to meet Mr Trump during his visit so did not have to make a decision about it, but politicians had no choice but to meet such individuals

Last month Taoiseach Enda Kenny labelled some of the US businessman's speeches as "racist" and dangerous" but said he was still willing to meet him.

Earlier today, Justice Minister Frances Fitzgerald said Trump’s U-turn on visiting Ireland was “his decision”, adding the Government played no part in the cancellation.

“It was always a private trip. He had no official invitation,” she said while speaking at the launch of Women’s Aid’s Impact Report, which details more than 22,000 reports of domestic abuse against women and children in 2015.

Independent.ie was awaiting a comment from Trump International Golf Links and Hotel at Doonbeg.

Online Editors

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News