Council to look at raising part of road by Clontarf flood wall
Published 06/11/2015 | 10:40
Dublin city council engineers have agreed to examine if parts of the road along the controversial sea wall in Clontarf could be raised to protect sea views.
Engineers also pledged to undertake a study of which finish could be used on the wall to improve how it looks at an information meeting for councillors.
A capping stone of up to six inches was being considered among the finishes for use along part of the wall but this could be reduced to a slimmer cap, if it is included in the final project at all.
A number of finishes are under consideration including a wall that is plastered and rendered.
The wall has been built to 4.25m above sea level which is what engineers say is required to act as a flood defence.
Locals have strongly objected to the building of the wall complaining it has ruined their sea views and is higher than they expected.
It is understood that the raising of a stretch of road along by St Anne's Park may not be feasible because of drainage or road safety issues.
A report on that proposal is due to be delivered to councillors in December.
Officials have also committed to placing a string indicator along the remaining stretch of the flood defence area to the wooden bridge to demonstrate the scale of the wall to local residents.
Fianna Fail councillor Sean Haughey welcomed the progress but said it did not go far enough.
"The height has to be reduced and project engineers have not conceded to that yet," he said.
The flood defence was a "monstrosity" he added.
"It's too big and too ugly and it has to be reduced in size and improved from an aesthetic point of view."
Up to 600 people attended a public meeting held in Clontarf Castle about the wall earlier this week.
A special council meeting is due to take place next Wednesday where the sea wall will be the only item on the agenda.
Independent councillor Damian O'Farrell said that he hopes councillors will allow time for a full debate on the "important issue".
The council has said that it can't reduce the height of the wall because of the rules laid down for flood defences by the Office of Public Works.
In a statement this week DCC said that a new render would be considered but that the installation of glass defences would not work for a number of reasons, including cost.
Using transparent flood defences would cost an estimate €10m extra and would not be suitable for the area and would incur a high maintenance cost the council said.
The new wall is being built as part of a €5 million 2km cycle path from the wooden bridge to Causeway Road.
It is part of the projected Sutton to Sandycove cycle route which will link north and south coasts.