Cork commuters in travel chaos after protest over bus routes
Published 03/10/2016 | 09:14
THOUSANDS of Cork commuters faced transport chaos this morning after a protest over bus routes kept Bus Eireann coaches in the city's main depot.
The protest was mounted by Mahon residents from 5.30am to 7.30am in protest over changes to the Route 202 service.
Mahon residents complained that changes to the route have left hundreds of locals in parts of Mahon unable to access a service that they enjoyed for more than 20 years.
The protest was mounted outside the main Capwell bus depot for around two hours.
It prevented many buses from departing the depot as normal to operate Monday morning services across the city.
The demonstration was lifted when Bus Eireann and the National Transport Authority agreed to meet with representatives of Mahon residents tomorrow (Tuesday).
Mahon residents warned last week that protests would be mounted if they weren't granted a meeting and concessions over the Route 202 service.
Former Lord Mayor Councillor Chris O'Leary, a Mahon resident, said no-one wanted to inconvenience Cork commuters but local residents felt they had to take a stand for a vital local transport asset.
"People in parts of Mahon are totally lost with being unable to access this new route," he said.
Bus services operated as normal in Cork from shortly after 8am