Saturday 3 December 2016

Boy (13) who admitted murdering Irish builder Christopher John Barry has been locked up for at least 11 years

Published 10/04/2015 | 15:49

John Barry
John Barry

A mother wept in court as one of the youngest children to plead guilty to murder was locked up at the Old Bailey for a minimum of 11 years.

  • Go To

The 13-year-old boy, who cannot be named for legal reasons, pleaded guilty to stabbing 53-year-old Christopher Barry twice in the chest outside his home in Edmonton, north London, on December 14 last year.

The court heard he had left a 13th birthday party with a group of friends to see another boy on to the bus home in time for an 8pm curfew.

But on their way back to the party, they went to the wrong block of flats and came across Mr Barry, accompanied by his girlfriend Sabrina Finn, outside.

When the victim refused to let them into the building, there was "pushing and shoving" between Mr Barry and the three boys before the defendant managed to get in.

He followed Mr Barry into the lift where he produced a kitchen knife from his rucksack and demanded "What you saying now? What you saying now?" before stabbing him twice.

Mr Barry did not know straightaway that he was hurt, and realised only when he took off his wax jacket inside his flat and noticed blood on his shirt, Zoe Johnson QC said.

Shortly afterwards, he collapsed in a pool of blood and went into cardiac arrest, she said. He died shortly afterwards.

Meanwhile, the boy had texted one friend "Ok, if anyone asks, I wasn't there today", and told another he was going to prison.

The court heard the boy had been a member of a Wood Green gang since he was just 10 and had been excluded from a school after receiving a police warning for carrying a knife on its premises.

Press Association

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News