News Irish News

Saturday 20 September 2014

News in brief: Man loses €38k claim

Published 20/05/2014 | 02:30

  • Share

A MAN who claimed he was injured after he fell in the stairway of a Dublin bus has lost a €38,000 claim for damages.

  • Share
  • Go To

Michael Brady (41) of Collins Avenue, Whitehall, Dublin, sued Dublin Bus in the Circuit Civil Court after claiming he fell while the bus had been travelling at speed as he was descending the stairway. The claims were denied by Dublin Bus.

DATE SET FOR ANGLO TRIAL

A date has been set for June 3, 2015, for the trial of three former Anglo Irish Bank officials who have denied conspiring to commit tax and company law offences.

Aoife Maguire (60), of Rothe Abbey, South Circular Road, Kilmainham, Dublin; Bernard Daly (65), of Collins Avenue West, Whitehall, Dublin; and Tiarnan O'Mahoney (54), of Glen Pines, Enniskerry, Co Wicklow, are facing charges relating to offences .

VIEWS ON WATER FEES

GOVERNMENT plans for a "free" water allowance for families when charges are introduced in October have been opened for public consultation.

The Government proposes issuing a direction to the independent water regulator, the Commission for Energy Regulation, setting out a 'free' allowance of 30,000 litres a year for each home, along with an additional allowance of 38,000 litres per child. The public have been asked to submit views by June 16 to the Environment Department.

DRUGS SEIZED FROM CAR

Drugs and ammunition were seized when gardai stopped a car in Drogheda.

Officers from the Drogheda divisional drugs unit intercepted the car at Donore Road in the town on Sunday. They seized cocaine with an estimated street value of €50,000 as well as a small quantity of 9mm ammunition.

A man in his early 40s was arrested for questioning.

He was being held last night at Drogheda garda station.

DRIVERS UNSURE OF LAW

ONE-in-five drivers admit they still regularly break the new rules on texting at the wheel. And there still is confusion over exactly what the laws cover, a survey finds.

Twenty percent of those in a Motorcheck.ie survey said they still 'often' use their phone for texting and calls when driving. Nearly half (46pc) said they 'seldom' use their phones. More than one-quarter (29pc) of drivers said that they did not have hands-free kits or wireless Bluetooth connections.

Irish Independent

Read More

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News