New turn in Paul Williams case
Published 17/01/2010 | 05:00
former Sunday World crime editor Paul Williams, who quit the Irish tabloid last week to join the News of the World for a reported €250,000 a year, said yesterday that he believes he is no longer in the employ of the British tabloid.
The Sunday World secured a temporary injunction in the High Court on Friday preventing the author and crime reporter working for anyone other than the Sunday World until his three months' notice expires on April 12.
Yesterday Mr Williams said that as a result of the injunction he had been given legal advice that he could not work for the News of the World. "I can't talk to them, I can't write for them, I cannot go into their office. I am effectively not in their employ any more."
He added that he did not know what would happen next beyond the fact that the matter is due back in the High Court tomorrow and that a date would be sought for a full hearing of the matter.