New lead in cold-case arson death of boy (12)
Published 23/11/2011 | 05:00
COLD-CASE gardai have found a new line of inquiry in the case of young boy who died in an arson attack a decade ago.
Stephen Hughes Connors (12) died in the blaze in Tallaght in Dublin on September 1, 2001.
The makeshift hut that he and a friend were camping in overnight at Rossfield Avenue in Brookfield was set alight at 5am that morning.
Initially, it was thought that the fire was accidental.
But video footage later emerged that showed a man approaching the hut on two occasions, with a small explosion seen off camera shortly after his second visit.
The incident was featured on 'Crimeline' in 2003 and re-examined by the Serious Crime Review Team, who made an arrest in April 2006.
At Dublin Coroner's Court yesterday, Detective Inspector John Walsh said that a 'person of interest' had come to light who gardai wanted to speak to about the incident.
Liz Hughes, Stephen's mother, earlier this year pleaded to anyone with information to contact gardai.
She said it would be a comfort to "know what happened to Stephen -- even after all these years".