News Irish News

Monday 25 September 2017

New bid to save Galway airport and jobs is launched

INDEPENDENT.IE REPORTERS

Fresh attempts are being made to get the government to reconsider last week's decision to cut off all state funding to Galway Airport from the end of the year.

The airport needs €1.2m to survive and its management says the move is 'ill-conceived' and is seriously threatening its survival.



Transport Minister Leo Varadkar has told the board it must find new sources of funding, if the airport is to have a future.



He claimed the airport must find new backers and investors and 'explore its ongoing viability with them'.



The Galway Airport Board was today meeting to consider the extent of the financial crisis it now faces.



General Manager Joe Walsh said the government's 'unexpected and ill-advised' decision means there is a very real risk that it could be forced to close.



The Government is to continue funding the airport's operating costs until 31 December.

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News