Saturday 1 October 2016

Nevin is 'barred' from pubs pending trial

John Fallon

Published 11/04/2015 | 02:30

John Joe Nevin arriving at Mullingar District Court, Co Westmeath, yesterday. Photo: James Flynn
John Joe Nevin arriving at Mullingar District Court, Co Westmeath, yesterday. Photo: James Flynn

OLYMPIC silver medallist John Joe Nevin has been 'barred' from entering any pub in Co Westmeath as part of his bail conditions pending a court case following a brawl outside a bar earlier this week.

  • Go To

However, Judge Seamus Hughes said a number of the conditions would be temporarily lifted to allow Mr Nevin (pictured inset) to go abroad to train or facilitate him in Ireland if the gardaí were in agreement. Mr Nevin (25), of St Anthony's Cottages, Mullingar, was one of five members of his extended family to appear before Mullingar District Court yesterday.

He is charged with being drunk in a public place and with threatening and abusive behaviour.

Judge Hughes was told that further charges may arise from the incident which involved up to 25 people fighting outside 'The Stillery' pub on Dominick Street in Mullingar earlier this week.

In a separate case yesterday, Judge Hughes closed the 'The Stillery' pub - saying he was aware that it was known locally as 'The Slaughter House' -for five days until 6pm next Wednesday because of a series of violent incidents.

Judge Hughes told publican Derek Martin, who agreed by consent to the closure order, that there would be further closures if he did not get his house in order.

David Nevin (24), The Moorings, Ballymahon Road, Mullingar; Joseph Nevin (19), Grange Meadows, Mullingar; Paddy Nevin (20) St Anthony's Cottages, Mullingar; and Christopher Nevin (22), Grange Park, Mullingar, also appeared before the court.

The court was told by Sgt Damien Connaughton that between 20-25 people were involved in the fight which broke out outside The Stillery pub on Dominick Street in the town centre at around 11.30pm on Monday night. Up to nine gardaí were involved in trying to break up the brawl.

Judge Hughes yesterday morning remanded the other four Nevin family members on €100 bail to appear again on May 21 and then dealt with John Joe Nevin, who had been away training, when court resumed in the afternoon. He was also remanded on €100 bail and subjected to bail conditions.

The conditions applied to all five include not entering licenced premises in Co Westmeath pending trial, remaining alcohol and drug-free and observing a curfew from 11pm to 8am.

Irish Independent

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News