independent

Wednesday 16 April 2014

Neary victims to be compensated

Dr James Reilly announced that around 35 women who had been excluded from the Lourdes Hospital Redress Scheme will now be compensated

Women whose reproductive organs were needlessly removed by struck-off medic Michael Neary have finally got justice, campaigners said.

Health Minister James Reilly said approximately 35 women who had been excluded from the Lourdes Hospital Redress Scheme on age grounds alone will now be compensated.

Payments to those who were 40 or over when operated on will range from 60,000 euro to 100,000 euro, depending on the number of children each woman had.

Dr Reilly said he hoped the move would be the start of the road to closure for these women who suffered so much through no fault of their own.

"The consequences these women suffered as a result of being patients of Dr Neary were appalling and insult was added to injury by their exclusion from the redress scheme," Dr Reilly added.

Neary was stuck off the medical register in 2003.

A state inquiry later revealed he performed 129 hysterectomies at Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital, Drogheda, between 1974 and 1998. The files of another 44 patients were intentionally and unlawfully removed from the hospital to protect those involved.

About 200 women have been compensated under a redress scheme set up by the state in 2007 which has cost 20.6 million euro to date.

Support group Patient Focus had campaigned for the remaining women - including for the families of two who have since died - to be included.

One moth er of two was just three days past her 40th birthday when her ovaries were removed by the obstetrician in February 1992. She was plunged into early menopause.

The extension of the scheme will cost around four million euro and cover former patients of Dr Neary who underwent a bilateral oophorectomy, or removal of a remaining single functioning ovary, performed when a patient was aged 40 years or over, which rendered her immediately menopausal and which was medically unwarranted.

Sheila O'Connor, of Patient Focus, said the women had finally got justice.

"We are very please that this has finally come to a conclusion," she said.

"It's been a long haul. Wearying.

"This is justice for the women. We are really pleased."

The new scheme, which will be administered by the State Claims Agency, opens tomorrow.

Press Association

Also in this Section

Classifieds

CarsIreland

Independent Shopping.ie

Meet, chat and connect with
singles in your area

Independent Shopping.ie

Meet Singles Now

Findajob

Apps

Now available on

Independent.ie on Twitter

More

Most Read

Daily Deals

Independent Gallery

Your photos

Send us your weather photos promo

Celebrity News