Mystery of couple who lay dead in flat for four days
Published 15/01/2013 | 05:00
A MAN and woman whose bodies were found together in a flat could have been dead for up to four days.
Post-mortem examinations today are expected to determine exactly how the pair died.
Gardai believe John Glennon (67) and Debbie McEvoy (63) died of carbon monoxide poisoning.
The bodies were found in Mr Glennon's home in Drumalee Court, Stoneybatter, a sheltered housing unit in Dublin's north inner city, shortly before 1pm yesterday.
Gardai say the bodies could have been there for up to four days.
Officers were alerted yesterday after a health board officer failed to make contact with either of them over the weekend. Gardai said there was no evidence of foul play and they did not think their deaths had been caused by a gas leak.
One theory being examined is that the carbon monoxide could have been created by a faulty heater.
Bord Gais said that it was asked to examine the scene but its staff could find no evidence of a natural gas leak at the property or any of the houses adjoining it.
"There has been no consumption of natural gas at this property for a number of years," the company said.
Gardai at the Bridewell station alerted the office of State Pathologist Dr Marie Cassidy and post-mortem examinations will be held later today.
Additional toxicology tests may also be carried out.
The couple's bodies were found together on the ground of the flat. Ms McEvoy, who had an address in nearby Cabra and was a friend of Mr Glennon, is from Newry, Co Down.
A forensic examination of the scene was completed yesterday evening by members of the garda technical bureau. Friends of Mr Glennon, who is originally from Co Offaly, said that he was a friendly character who was well liked in the area.
His nickname was 'Little Elvis' owing to his dress sense, hair and his fondness for cowboy hats.
He had moved to the local authority housing, which caters for senior citizens, around seven years ago.
Junior Minister Joe Costello, who is a TD for the local area, said that he knew Mr Glennon well and said he was always singing and dancing.
"He was the heart and soul of every party," Mr Costello said.
"He was at the Christmas party on Prussia Street a few days before Christmas and he was up singing on that occasion, so he was in the best of health and the best of form."
He said he wanted to get the message out to senior citizens to be careful when using their appliances at home during the coming cold snap.
Jimmy Traynor, who is married to Mr Glennon's sister Mary, said that his death came as a shock.
He recalled that council officials were called to Mr Glennon's house over the weekend after he could not be contacted by phone.
However, when they gained entry to the house, Mr Glennon, who got around with the aid of a walker, was fine. His mother died when he was very young while his father Tommy died a number of years ago.
Ms McEvoy was described by a friend as a "lovely woman" and dedicated nurse who had given her life to her profession.
She had worked at a number of hospitals and had recently been working at a nursing agency.
She visited Mr Glennon at his house regularly, according to their friends. Gardai sealed off the area for a technical examination for much of the day.
The bodies were removed from the house late in the evening and taken to the city morgue.
Dublin City Council, which owns the complex, said the incident was being probed by gardai.
Irish IndependentFollow @Independent_ie