News Irish News

Tuesday 23 September 2014

Mystery as young man vanishes 
after crash

Brian McDonald

Published 25/08/2014 | 02:30

  • Share

HUNDREDS of people took part in a search for a man who went missing following a road accident.

  • Share
  • Go To

Gardai and up to 400 members of the public joined the search for 25-year-old Thomas Ruane from Garbally, Menlough, Co Galway.

The young agricultural contractor employee had been working on Saturday and went out after work in Mountbellew.

He was driving home alone to Menlough when his car apparently went off the road and crashed at Killascobe, Menlough at about 1.15am.

A number of local people who came upon the crashed car could find no trace of the driver. When he failed to show up at his home, a search, including the garda helicopter, got under way on Saturday as concern mounted.

Superintendent Gerry Roche, who is leading the search, said that no effort was being spared to find Mr Ruane following his disappearance in the early hours of Saturday morning.

Yesterday hundreds joined the search operation and concentrated their efforts in Mountbellew and Skehana.

"We know he was tired from a hard day's work," said Supt Roche.

"We don't think he was too badly injured in the crash - there was no sign of blood in the car. It seems that he was able to get away from the car OK."

Gardai at Ballinasloe can be contacted at 090 96 31890.

Irish Independent

Read More

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News