News Irish News

Sunday 4 December 2016

Murder of dad in caravan park linked to personal dispute

Tom Brady Security Editor

Published 08/06/2011 | 05:00

A father of four, who was shot dead outside his holiday home in north Co Dublin on Monday, is believed to be the second fatal victim of a personal feud.

  • Go To

Michael Taylor (53), of Summerhill Cottages in the north inner city, died at Beaumont Hospital yesterday morning after being shot at least six times with a handgun.

He was hit at least three times in the head and also in the body by two armed attackers, who struck shortly after he had pulled up in his car outside his mobile home at Hands caravan park, near Donabate golf club, on Monday afternoon.

Last night investigating gardai were working on the theory that the cold-blooded murder was linked to a row that erupted between two groups in the inner city more than four years ago.

An associate of Mr Taylor was questioned by gardai in the past about a murder on the northside of the capital and that incident was also thought to have been connected to the dispute.

The row is not part of the vicious gangland feud that has flared in the north inner city and claimed five victims since December 2006, although some of those involved know each other.

Supt Mark Curran, who is in charge of the Donabate investigation, said yesterday that 40 gardai were involved in the case and they were pursuing a number of lines of inquiry.

Gardai are interviewing at least 50 people, who were in or near the caravan park at the time of the shooting.

Some living close to Mr Taylor and his wife had a lucky escape as one bullet struck the window of a parked car, while another smashed a window where five people were sitting in an adjacent caravan.

The two gunmen entered the car park and began shooting seconds after Mr Taylor had arrived there with a friend.

Officers said the gunmen had either followed their target to the park or else were lying in wait nearby as he stopped outside his caravan.

Screaming

The gunmen -- who were wearing hooded tops -- ran off with Mr Taylor's wife screaming and giving chase towards Donabate beach, before jumping into a stolen metallic blue 09 D registered Opel Insignia.

The Opel was found burnt out shortly afterwards near Turvey Woods and the gunmen were then believed to have transferred into a black Honda Civic car, with an 07 D registration plate.

Gardai found a similar vehicle yesterday afternoon in the Glasnevin area and were checking to determine if it had been used in the getaway.

The area around Mr Taylor's caravan was sealed off and a forensic examination was completed there yesterday as a post-mortem examination of the victim's body got under way.

Mr Taylor was rushed to Beaumont in a critical condition and was pronounced dead yesterday morning.

He appeared at Dublin District Court in May 2009 when he agreed to enter into a bond to keep the peace for two years.

He had been charged with affray arising out of a violent incident at the Mater Hospital two years earlier.

But the state solicitor agreed to withdraw the charge if he signed the bond of €100.

This was agreed by the two sides and by the judge.

Last night gardai appealed to anyone who witnessed the murder or had information about it to contact the incident room at Swords station on 01 6664700, the Garda Confidential Line at 1800 666111, or any garda station.

Irish Independent

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News