Saturday 22 October 2016

Murder inquiry launched as man (27) dies after yesterday's daylight stabbing

Published 20/11/2015 | 15:24

Gardai at the scene in Navan, Co Meath
Gardai at the scene in Navan, Co Meath
Gardai working on a crime scene

A 27-year-old man has died following a stabbing outside a house in county Meath.

  • Go To

Christopher Nevin (27) had been clinging to life at Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital, Drogheda after he was attacked with a knife or some other sharp implement yesterday afternoon.

The incident took place in the Tailtean Road area of Navan at around 2:15 pm yesterday.

Garda said that Mr Nevin was seriously injured in an altercation with a number of other males, adding that these "males got into a silver car which drove off in the direction of the town centre."

Garda are keen to speak to anyone who was on Tailtean Road or in the vicinity of Winetown between 1.50pm and 2.30pm yesterday.

Mr Nevin was taken by ambulance to Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital, Drogheda after emergency services arrived to find him bleeding on the ground and going into cardiac arrest.

Paramedics immediately began to try to resuscitate the young man.

It is understood that he was brought straight into an operating theatre upon arrival at the hospital.

Garda confirmed that a post mortem is due to be carried out at the mortuary at Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital tomorrow.

The scene outside the House near Tailtean Road was preserved yesterday to allow for a forensic and technical examination to take place.

It is believed the fatal attack on Mr Nevin is linked to a long-running feud involving families from the local area and neighbouring counties.

Earlier this year, two men were knocked unconscious when they were attacked with steel bars and broom handles.

Gardaí from Navan have appealed for anyone with information to come forward and assist their investigations.

Anyone who may have any information is asked to contact them on 046 9079930, the Garda Confidential Line on 1800 666 111 or any Garda station.

Speaking to yesterday, local councillor Wayne Forde had said the local area was shocked to learn of the broad daylight attack.

"I recently made a request at a meeting of Meath County Council for 100 more gardaí in the Navan and Meath area following the huge rise in anti-social behaviour."

Mr Forde added: "This incident shows the real need to ensure that we have more gardaí here who are fully resourced to deal with some crimes."

Online Editors

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News