Mum's horror as she finds daughter choking on dummy
Published 18/09/2015 | 09:18
A mum-of-four has described how she found her one-year-old daughter choking on the end of her dummy.
Caoimhe Henry said she found little Eireann motionless in her cot last week with her soother lying on the floor and the teat missing.
The terrified mum managed to dislodge the object from her child's throat using skills learned on a first aid course.
The 33-year-old former nursery nurse said: "I went to check on her around 8pm. I walked in and she was lying, staring at the ceiling. She made no response when I spoke to her. Her chest wasn't moving and her lips were blue.
"When I saw the dummy on the floor with no teat on it, I instantly knew. I lifted Eireann out of the cot and did back slaps, then chest presses, then another round of back slaps, before the teat came out. It was another minute before she came round and started to cry.
"I'd called 999, so the paramedics checked her, but by that point she seemed fine. I broke down. If I hadn't gone up the stairs, things would have been so much worse."
Caoimhe bought the dummy from maker MAM on eBay earlier in the summer. After she contacted the seller, which is investigating the product, she was allegedly told she should have carried out a 'pull test' on the dummy.
The mum said: "When I explained to the company what happened, they offered another dummy, which I declined. They asked if I had done a pull test, but I had never heard of it. They said you are supposed to pull on the teat to check it's secure. I didn't realise the potential danger of them.
"Though Eireann has six teeth, I don't think she bit the end off as the paramedics said they could see it was a clean break, like it had snapped in half. Dummies need to be made to a higher standard, and the pull tests should be mentioned more clearly on the packaging. I was lucky to have known what to do thanks to my training, but other parents might not be so fortunate.
"Eireann seems fine, but she's been gagging after eating, which the doctor said is an inflamed throat. I haven't been able to settle her in her cot after the trauma, but I'm hoping she will forget it."
MAM, which sells baby products across the country, has sent the product for testing in Austria. A spokesperson said: "MAM takes all of its complaints extremely seriously. MAM are not yet in a position to comment on this particular incident. We are in contact with the customer directly.
"All MAM products have been extensively researched and tested to ensure they are suitable for the purpose for which they have been designed for and of the highest standard. There has never been a serious safety issue on MAM products in the UK.
"There is a standard in force based on extensive research and expert knowledge - BSEN 1400. This standard assures to the best of scientific knowledge the products that conform to the standard do not represent any danger for the baby. All MAM soothers comply with this standard."