Sunday 21 December 2014

Mother dies despite brave son’s effort to rescue her from house fire

Lyndsey Telford

Published 23/12/2012 | 21:06

A woman has died following a fire at her home in Co Carlow.



The 50-year-old, named locally as Margaret Doyle, was pulled from the house by her son early this morning.

James Doyle, 20, had returned home at around 4.30am when he found his mother in the house at Mountain View in Hacketstown.

Fine Gael TD Pat Deering, who serves the area, said it was a real Christmas tragedy and that the local community had been left reeling.

"We can't begin to imagine what her son must be going through," Mr Deering said.

"For something like this to happen the day before Christmas Eve is just terribly, terribly sad."

It is understood Ms Doyle and her son lived alone in the house.

James made the discovery after returning home from a night out.

He pulled his mother from the house and she was later pronounced dead.

Mr Deering said it is believed Ms Doyle died from smoke inhalation.

Her body was taken to Waterford Regional Hospital where a post-mortem examination is expected to take place tomorrow, when the cause of death will be confirmed officially.

Meanwhile, Gardai have sealed off the area surrounding the home and launched a technical investigation.

A spokesman said early indications suggest the fire started accidentally.

Local county councillor Pat O'Toole extended his deepest sympathies to James and the surrounding family.

He said he was shocked and saddened by the news.

"Something like this is an absolute tragedy any time of the year, but particularly at Christmas," said Mr O'Toole.

Mother dies despite brave son’s effort to rescue her from house fire



Lyndsey Telford



A woman has died following a fire at her home in Co Carlow.

The 50-year-old, named locally as Margaret Doyle, was pulled from the house by her son early this morning.

James Doyle, 20, had returned home at around 4.30am when he found his mother in the house at Mountain View in Hacketstown.

Fine Gael TD Pat Deering, who serves the area, said it was a real Christmas tragedy and that the local community had been left reeling.

"We can't begin to imagine what her son must be going through," Mr Deering said.

"For something like this to happen the day before Christmas Eve is just terribly, terribly sad."

It is understood Ms Doyle and her son lived alone in the house.

James made the discovery after returning home from a night out.

He pulled his mother from the house and she was later pronounced dead.

Mr Deering said it is believed Ms Doyle died from smoke inhalation.

Her body was taken to Waterford Regional Hospital where a post-mortem examination is expected to take place tomorrow, when the cause of death will be confirmed officially.

Meanwhile, Gardai have sealed off the area surrounding the home and launched a technical investigation.

A spokesman said early indications suggest the fire started accidentally.

Local county councillor Pat O'Toole extended his deepest sympathies to James and the surrounding family.

He said he was shocked and saddened by the news.

"Something like this is an absolute tragedy any time of the year, but particularly at Christmas," said Mr O'Toole.

Promoted articles

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News