Most residents of Rostrevor now relocated
Published 18/06/2011 | 05:00
THE majority of elderly residents have now moved out of the nursing home which is threatened with closure over alleged abuse.
The court application, seeking an order for the closure of Rostrevor House nursing home in Rathgar, Dublin, is expected to be sought next week.
An interim order has already been obtained by the Health Information and Quality Authority (HIQA), following allegations that a former care assistant physically abused five residents at the home.
A spokesperson for the HSE, which has taken over the running of the home, said most of the 23 residents had been transferred to other facilities.
She said it was expected that the remainder would be moved to other nursing homes at the the beginning of next week.
One of the directors of the home, Sarah Lipsett, declined to comment yesterday.
Ms Lipsett has previously rejected the allegations and said the claims related to an internal dispute among staff.
She said she believed the residents did not want to move to another nursing home.
HIQA, which obtained the interim order on June 3, has 28 days from that date to seek a full closure order.
The directors, who include Sarah Lipsett and her sister Avila, have previously said they will contest the application.
HIQA only learnt of the allegations, made by three foreign staff at the home, late last month. Before that, its inspection reports had praised the respect given to residents and the facility's homeliness.
The care assistant Kevin Poorun (33) was suspended by the owners, who described him as " wonderful". He has rejected all the allegations made against him.
It emerged last week that the the HSE was directly paying for a number of residents in the home who were in contract beds. These private contract beds are necessary because of a shortage of public beds.
The owners received nearly €700,000 from the HSE in payments, mostly involving subsidies for the residents.