Sunday 23 October 2016

'Modular housing was not delayed due to intimidation' - construction company

Sarah-Jane Murphy

Published 19/12/2015 | 15:53

The construction site in Poppintree.
The construction site in Poppintree.
An example of a modular home

A construction company have denied saying that threatening behaviour caused work on modular housing in Ballymun in Dublin to cease.

  • Go To

Earlier this week, Dublin City Council (DCC) said in a statement that balaclava-clad men threatened to burn Western Systems machinery on the Ballymun site unless the builders returned to the North.

Threats were also allegedly made to security staff at the site.

However RTE News reports that Western Systems have denied the contents of the DCC's statement.

They also say that their security company, CK Security, refute that any intimidation occured.

DCC issued the statement in order to explain the delay in the provision of the prefabricated houses.

Read More: Modular homes scheme delayed over fire threats by masked men

It was originally envisaged that the 22 families would be in situ by the end of December.

Protests have taken place at the building site in Poppintree, Ballymun, as people voiced their belief that the modular houses would interfere with the construction of 40 social housing dwellings.

Possible safety concern regarding the prefabricated units were also brought to public attention by demonstratiors.

However the DCC said it intends to proceed with plans to build another 131 modular houses on other sites.

Read More: Opening of temporary houses for homeless delayed after workers receive threats

Online Editors

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News