Miriam's husband takes reins of current affairs
Published 26/11/2011 | 05:00
RTE announced that Steve Carson would be taking the reins last night following the 'standing aside' of Ken O'Shea earlier this week.
Mr Carson, who is currently the director of TV programmes, will also act as executive editor of 'Prime Time Investigates'.
Mr Carson and Ms O'Callaghan met after he became a producer on BBC's 'Newsnight' in 1994, where she was employed as an Ireland correspondent.
They worked regularly together on Irish items and in the North.
RTE has also announced that Cillian de Paor is to act as managing director of news and current affairs at the broadcaster.
Both men will occupy the roles for the duration of an inquiry by the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland (BAI) into the programme 'Mission to Prey' that defamed Fr Reynolds.
Earlier this week, managing director of news, Ed Mulhall and current affairs editor Ken O'Shea stood aside for the duration of the probe.
Meanwhile, RTE last night re-broadcasted an apology to Fr Reynolds following a public backlash over the standard of its initial airing last week.
It said the move was taken "in response to concerns expressed by viewers".
A new version was aired after last night's 'Nine O'Clock News'.
Staff at the broadcaster also made their feelings known on the apology during a tense meeting with director general Noel Curran on Thursday.
Fr Sean McDonagh of the Association of Catholic Priests, who had criticised the original apology, welcomed the decision. "I am happy to hear it; it is to be welcomed," he said.