A minute's silence has been observed by Dun Laoghaire Rathdown County Council in memory of the victims of the weekend’s tragic fire in Carrickmines.
The local authority’s monthly meeting was adjourned after councillors extended their sympathies to the families of the victims of the blaze.
Councillors said the fire in which 10 people from two Traveller families died - including five children - was a “local and national tragedy."
Condolences were led by the Mayor, Cllr Barry Saul (FG).
“Our thoughts and prayers are with both families at this difficult time, and with those who survived,” he said.
He thanked the emergency services for their “brave efforts” and the work being done by all to make the lives of the bereaved “more bearable.”
Cllr Lynsey McGovern (NP) said the community of Carrickmines was in a state of “deep shock.”
“They are completely numbed by what happened,” she said. “The scale of the tragedy is unprecedented.”
“The whole community is in mourning,” Cllr Tom Murphy (FF) said.
Cllr Peter O’Brien (Lab) said he had been at the fire scene and “harrowing cannot even begin to describe the atmosphere.”
The silence was also held in memory of Garda Anthony Golden, who was shot dead attending a 999 call in Co Louth on Sunday.
Garda Golden had been stationed in Cabinteely, south Dublin before his posting in Omeath, where the weekend’s second tragedy took place.
Fund raising efforts have begun to support the victims of the deadly blaze.
The charity group St Vincent de Paul (SVP) is preparing to organise a donation drive to help 14 people left homeless by the fire.
The Southside Traveller Action Group which has been providing support and comfort for the families bereaved by the tragedy is to meet with SVP later this afternoon to finalise plans to help the victims.
He told parishioners: "It is a time of sadness and great loss for them. People are very much aware of the fragility of life and how these terrible tragedies can happen without any warning or notice."
"We have spoken to St Vincent de Paul and if people wish to give in some way they may do so."
The halting site on Glenamuck Road South accommodated up to half a dozen caravans and one or two permanent residential structures, the Southside Traveller Action Group said.
“The primary focus now is centred on the injured and bereaved. There are 14 people left homeless as a result of this fire and they are in need of emergency accommodation.
“[We] will meet with Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown Co Council to address this immediate need… [and] a meeting with the HSE and Department of Social Protection will follow to discuss the ongoing needs of these families.”