Friday 9 December 2016

McManus's Facebook injunction bid struck out

Published 31/05/2011 | 05:00

A HIGH Court injunction application by multi-millionaire businessman JP McManus over alleged fake profiles of him on a social networking website was struck out yesterday after a judge was told the pages had been taken down.

  • Go To

Separate proceedings by Mr McManus (60) against Facebook for alleged breach of privacy will be heard later.

The High Court heard on Friday that representatives of Mr McManus had asked that three user profiles, falsely claiming to be him, be taken down but this was not successful.

Yesterday, Paul Gallagher, for Mr McManus, told the court that lawyers for Facebook were prepared to give an undertaking that the pages and profiles would remain fully disabled pending the trial of the action.

Cian Ferritter, for Facebook, said the undertaking was an offer strictly without prejudice.

Mr Justice Roderick Murphy struck out the injunction application and adjourned the matter for mention to Thursday, when directions in relation to the main proceedings will be sought.

Irish Independent

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News