McIlroy postpones trip to Haiti
Published 30/03/2013 | 13:27
Golf champion Rory McIlroy has pulled out of a humanitarian mission to Haiti because of playing commitments, it has been confirmed.
The two-time major winner, who is an ambassador for the children's charity Unicef, was due to fly to the Caribbean island on Sunday to visit schools and community projects.
"Unfortunately, I have had to postpone my planned trip to Haiti with Unicef due to a change in my playing commitments," said the Ulster-born golfer.
McIlroy, 23, who is due to compete in the forthcoming Augusta Masters, has endured a difficult start to the year and has been struggling to find his best form after changing his club and ball manufacturers.
Earlier this week he was surpassed by American Tiger Woods for the world's number one spot.
McIlroy has been a Unicef ambassador for two years and first visited Haiti in 2011 to see the devastation caused by the earthquake of 2010 which killed or injured thousands and left more than a million people homeless.
During that two-day trip, which came just weeks after his infamous Masters meltdown, he visited newly built schools, a maternal centre and camps in the country's capital, Port-au-Prince.
In a statement, McIlroy promised he would return to Haiti.
"I am a strong supporter of Unicef's work and I was privileged to be given the opportunity to visit Haiti, with Unicef, nearly two years ago. We are currently looking at dates to reschedule my trip and I look forward to visiting Haiti very soon," he said.
A Unicef spokeswoman said details of the rescheduled visit would be announced in due course.