News Irish News

Monday 1 September 2014

McGuinness challenged by NI executive colleague over Enniskillen bombing

Deric Henderson

Published 29/09/2011 | 10:16

  • Share
The Magnificent Seven had their first debate in the lion's den that is Sean O'Rourke's show yesterday, and all avoided banana skins

MARTIN McGuinness was today challenged by one of his Northern Ireland executive colleagues to reveal what she claims he knows about the Enniskillen Poppy Day bomb atrocity.

  • Share
  • Go To

Arlene Foster, the trade and industry minister, said there had been speculation for decades that it was the IRA from Derry which was involved in the 1987 bombing which killed 11 people as they gathered at the town's cenotaph.



Mr McGuinness, one of the Republic's presidential candidates, has admitted being in the IRA in Derry but insisted he left the organisation in 1974. Last night on RTE television he said he was "ashamed" about republican involvement in the no-warning attack.



Today, Ms Foster called on Mr McGuinness, who has stepped aside as deputy Northern Ireland First Minister because of the presidential contest, to assist the Historical Enquiry Team which is examining the police investigation into Enniskillen



No one has ever been charged.



Ms Foster, the Democratic Unionist Party MLA for Fermanagh-South Tyrone, said: "If Martin McGuinness really believes the murders that day were shameful then he should have no problem speaking to the HET and answer any questions which they have. The speculation for decades has been that the Enniskillen bomb was the work of Provos from Londonderry where Martin McGuinness was the second in command of the PIRA.



"Rather than proposing an international truth commission to deal with these matters, it would be much more helpful to the healing process if McGuinness was to tell the truth about this incident to the HET."



Read More

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News