Mary Hanafin: 'I'm in shock' over FF statement about local elections
Fianna Fail and Mary Hanafin clash over whether she is running for party in Blackrock
Published 03/05/2014 | 18:58
FORMER Minister Mary Hanafin has been left shocked after Fianna Fáil contradicted her claim that is to run for the party in the local elections.
Ms Hanafin earlier told a number of media outlets, including independent.ie, that she had lodged her nomination papers after being formally approached by party General Secretary Sean Dorgan.
However, Fianna Fáil this evening released a statement which said that the party is to field just one candidate ahead of this month's election.
The statement said that Ms Hanafin was told last night "in the clearest possible terms" that she would not be a candidate for the party in the Blackrock ward.
A Fianna Fáil spokeswoman insisted tonight that the party was fielding just one candidate in Kate Feeney.
“Following further analysis and following discussions with the existing candidate, the Committee met on Friday evening and decided that securing two seats was unlikely and that the party should proceed with its original one candidate strategy" the statement said.
“Mary Hanafin was informed of that decision on Friday evening in the clearest possible terms and has been made aware that there will be only one Fianna Fáil candidate in the Blackrock LEA, Ógra President Kate Feeney."
Sources confirmed that Ms Feeney was left furious last night after being told that she had a running mate in Ms Hanafin.
Ms Hanafin said earlier that she was keen to sit down with Ms Feeney this week to discuss her decision to run.
She said was shown research by the party which showed that Fianna Fáil had a real chance at winning two seats.
Contacted by independent.ie tonight, Ms Hanafin said she had no comment to make.
It is not known whether she will now run as an independent candidate in the elections.