Mars recalls drinks after diarrhoea bug is discovered
Published 16/08/2014 | 02:30
CHOCOLATE maker Mars last night issued an urgent recall on a range of its drinks after diarrhoea-causing bacteria was found in thousands of products.
The company announced the move after talks with the Food Safety Authority of Ireland.
The recall effects 350ml bottles of Mars Milk, Milky Way Milk, Skittles Drink, Starburst Strawberry Drink and Galaxy Smooth Drink.
Mars said the sports-cap milk drink products, manufactured by Milchwerke Mittelelbe GMBH, have best-before dates between 19/12/2014 to 11/4/2015.
The bacteria found in the products - Bacillus - can cause food poisoning, vomiting and diarrhoea.
"We want to ensure that anyone in possession of these products with these best-before dates is aware that they should not be consumed and that contact should be made with our consumer care team for more information," said a Mars spokeswoman.
"We are recalling all of the products listed as a precaution as they could pose a possible health risk due to the potential presence of a type of the bacteria known as Bacillus.
"Mars Chocolate Drinks has been in contact with the Food Safety Authority of Ireland (FSAI) to ensure all appropriate requirements are being followed. We take quality and food safety incredibly seriously and we apologise for any inconvenience caused to our consumers."
Irish IndependentFollow @Independent_ie