Thursday 24 April 2014

Man shot in row at New Year party

Victim recovering in hospital after argument over relationship turned violent

No Byline please
The house that was damaged in an early morning gun attack on New Years Day. No one was injured in the incident and a man has been arrested. 
No Byline please
The house that was damaged in an early morning gun attack on New Years Day.

A MAN is recovering in hospital from gunshot wounds sustained during a New Year's incident at a house, believed to have been sparked by a row over a relationship.

A 48-year-old man is being detained at Killarney garda station following the shooting at a house in Kilgobnet in Co Kerry in which a 31-year-old was hurt.

The injured man, named locally as John Foley, was taken to Kerry General Hospital after he was shot in the right-hand side of his body at the rural house near Beaufort, about 17km from Killarney.


His injuries are not believed to be life-threatening. A New Year's get-together had been going on at the time when the shooting occurred at around 1.20am.

The men are well known to each other but are not related.

Community activist Johnny O'Connor said the shooting had shocked the whole community.

"Nobody knows the circumstances of what happened but at least there were no fatalities, and I hope whatever did happen it can be resolved, and that there's no lasting damage done to either party," he said.

Meanwhile, in Co Clare, gardai were last night seeking a second man following a shooting incident in Ennis where at least one shot was fired at a house in the early hours of yesterday morning.

Gardai recovered a shotgun cartridge at the scene, a house at Childers Road in the town, and later arrested a 46-year-old man.

He was released without charge and a file is being prepared for the Director of Public Prosecutions.

A young family was asleep in the house at the time but nobody was injured. The shooting occurred at around 4.50am on New Year's Day and involved members of the settled Traveller community.

A glass panel in the front door was blown in, while there was also damage to the sitting-room window.

The chairman of Ennis joint policing committee, Cllr Paul O'Shea, said: "There are different disputes between different groups but we need an overview of what's going on.

"We also need help from outside agencies, including Traveller organisations, to see if there's any chance of resolving these disputes and preventing someone being killed," he said.

One local woman said: "We didn't hear a thing to be honest but I saw a police van outside the house when I got up. We heard a shot was fired but not much more than that. If it isn't guns, it's hand grenades. Some of us don't let our children out on the road here."

In June 2009, in an unrelated incident, a live grenade was thrown into a house just a few doors from the scene of yesterday's gun attack.

Irish Independent

Also in this Section




Meet, chat and connect with
singles in your area


Meet Singles Now



Now available on on Twitter


Most Read

Daily Deals

Independent Gallery

Your photos

Send us your weather photos promo

Celebrity News