News Irish News

Friday 19 September 2014

Man fights for life after vicious assault in Dublin city centre

Sam Griffin

Published 20/03/2014 | 09:10

  • Share
The scene of an alleged assault at Montague Place this morning

A man is fighting for his life after sustaining serious head injuries in what gardai are investigating as a serious assault.

  • Share
  • Go To

The man, aged 42-years-old, had been part of a group of four men who had been drinking in an open area of a flat complex on Montague Place in Dublin’s south inner city when he sustained the injuries.

He was rushed to the nearby St James’s Hospital by ambulance.

Eye-witnesses told the Herald the emergency services had been contacted by the other men who had been drinking with the victim.

Gardai from Pearse St station have issue an appeal for information following the attack which is understood to have occurred some time between 7.30pm and 8.50pm last night, at the flat complex.

A garda spokesperson this morning said it remained unclear if the man had been robbed at any stage in the attack but said investigations are ongoing. No arrests have been made.

Several residents in the Montague Place told the Herald they had seen a group of at least four men drinking heavily from early yesterday afternoon at the scene of the alleged assault.

One resident, who did not wish to be named, said she witnessed the men frantically shake the man at one occasion and shouted at him “to get up, get up”.

However when he failed to respond, she said she saw them attempt to ring the emergency services for help.

“There was a gang them there all drinking together for a good while and then I saw them shaking one lad and were shouting at him to get up because he was after falling to the ground. It didn’t look there was any fight from what I could see, I don’t think there was any fight,” she said.

“They were trying to get him help then I saw them run around the corner because I think they were trying to get him help.”

Another woman living around the corner form the scene of the attack said she witnessed the same men using a public payphone to ring someone.

“I was looking at them because they might have been up to someone but then I saw them when they were flagging down an ambulance.

Another resident of Montague Place said the men had been drinking heavily and “were fairly on their way” when he passed them. He added people frequently drink at the location, including service users of some of the hostels for homeless people situated close to the flat complex.

He said he saw gardai lay down sheets to preserve evidence from being lost in the heavy rainfall.

Gardai sealed off the area of Montague Place this morning and a technical examination was conducted. The area remained cordoned off earlier today.

Local Cllr Gerry Ashe said the incident appeared like “another awful incident” to have occurred in Dubin city.

“It’s very early so it’s difficult at this stage to the circumstances of what happened but certainly we do know a man is in hospital with serious injuries and that is never alright,” she told the Herald.

Anyone with information is asked to contact Pearce Street Garda Station on 01 666 9000 or the garda confidential hotline on 1800 666 111.

Meanwhile, gardai form Store St are investigating an assault of another 42-year-old man on Parnell St yesterday afternoon shortly after 3pm. Five men, all understood to be aged in their teens, were arrested but subsequently released without charge.

The man was taken to the Mater Hospital where he was suffering from non-life threatening injuries.

Some property, taken from the man in the assault, was recovered and gardai are continuing to investigate.

Read More

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News