Tuesday 6 December 2016

Man faces murder charge over alleged road rage

Published 15/01/2011 | 05:00

A NEW charge of murder has been brought against a man who allegedly assaulted a motorist in a road-rage attack.

  • Go To

Raymond Bates (49), who was from Durham, sustained serious head injuries following an incident in Sandymount, Dublin, on September 26.

Last October, Karl Donohoe (29), of Fishermans Wharf, in Ringsend, in south Dublin, was charged with causing serious harm to Mr Bates.

Yesterday morning at 10.25am before Dublin District Court, he was charged with the murder of Mr Bates.

Detective Barry Walsh told Judge Cormac Dunne that the assault charge was to be withdrawn.

Judge Dunne struck it out and was told that a new charge had been brought against Mr Donohoe, who was wearing a grey suit, blue shirt and striped tie.

Evidence

Mr Donohoe "made no reply to the charge after caution," Det-Gda Walsh said.

Judge Dunne agreed to Det-Gda Walsh's request for a remand in custody and was also told by defence solicitor Michael Kelleher that "it is anticipated that there will be a bail application".

Judge Dunne granted legal aid after hearing that the accused's circumstances had not changed.

At his first appearance on October 12 last, the court had been told that the accused was employed and earned €480 a week but his "means are scarce."

Mr Donohoe remained silent as evidence was given but said "Thank you" to Judge Dunne after he had made his order.

He was remanded in custody and will appear again at the Dublin District Court on January 21 next.

Englishman Mr Bates died four days after the alleged assault took place.

He felt unwell the day after the assault and went to St Vincent's Hospital.

However, he was then transferred to Beaumont Hospital where he fell into a coma and died on the evening of September 30.

The father of three had been working in Ireland on a gas pipeline.

Irish Independent

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News