Man charged over road death of Conor (14)
Teenager killed in alleged hit-and-run
Published 29/08/2013 | 10:45
A MAN has been charged with careless driving causing the death of a 14-year-old boy.
Ruadhan Tracey (31) replied “not guilty” to the charge after he was cautioned by gardai.
Schoolboy Conor Hickey sustained serious injuries following an alleged hit-and-run in Cabra, Dublin, shortly before Christmas 2011.
The teen, from St Attracta's Road in Cabra, was hit by a car at the junction of St Eithne Road and Fassaugh Road on the evening of December 2, 2011.
The Cabra Gaelscoil Colaiste Mhuire second year student had been on his way to meet a friend.
He died in hospital the following day.
Tracey, who is originally from Drumcondra, did not apply for bail.
Judge Alan Mitchell remanded him in custody to a date in September.
The accused, of Lagore Green in Dunshaughlin, appeared before Cloverhill District Court sitting at the Criminal Courts of Justice charged with careless driving causing death.
Detective Garda Jonathan Brady said he charged Treacy before the court with careless driving causing death.
Garda Brady said Tracey was handed a true copy of the charge sheet and in reply to the charge after caution he said “not guilty”. The detective said that the DPP has directed trial on indictment in the Circuit Court, where the penalties are potentially more severe.
Defence solicitor Jenny McKeever was assigned on free legal aid.
Ms McKeever said the accused, who is unemployed, was not making an application for bail.
Judge Mitchell remanded Tracey in custody to September 4 for the service of the book of evidence. Tracey is already before the courts accused of driving without insurance or a driving licence in relation to the same incident.
He is also accused of being the driver of a car which was involved in causing injury to Conor Hickey and failing to remain at the scene.
Those summons matters were previously adjourned to a separate date in September.