Lucky escape in kitchen blast
A MAN is lucky to be alive following a blast at a complex for the elderly in north Dublin.
A full evacuation of the St Brigid's Court complex in Artane was ordered after the roof of one of the first floor units was blown off.
It is believed that a resident had been cooking when a domestic explosion took place.
The man miraculously escaped injury after leaving the kitchen for his sitting room in order to watch the All-Ireland hurling final on television. Sources say a gas canister exploded. The resident was left "extremely traumatised" and was brought to hospital. He did not suffer any injuries.
A garda spokesman described the incident as a "domestic explosion".
Dublin City Council has launched a full investigation.
The 11 residents were evacuated and arrangements have been put in place for them to stay in hotels or with family.