Thursday 19 October 2017

Love Ulster march in Dublin 'gets go-ahead'

William Frazer
William Frazer
'Love Ulster' organiser Willie Frazer

Paul Healy

LOYALIST Willie Frazer has said that the Love Ulster march will go ahead in Dublin "in the next couple of weeks" after he met with senior members of An Garda Siochana yesterday.

The high-level meeting took place at Balbriggan Garda Station yesterday morning, with Chief Superintendent Pat Leahy of Store Street Garda Station, and Detective Chief Superintendent John Gilligan, of the force's Liaison and Protection section, in attendance.

Mr Frazer told the Herald that gardai were "more than happy" to facilitate the march.

"It was certainly a very good meeting" Mr Frazer said. "The guards don't have an issue with us coming down. They said they will give us the protection that we need. The march will happen in the next couple of weeks," he said.

Gardai said they would not comment for operational reasons.

Mr Frazer said that while a date had been agreed with gardai, he was not yet happy to reveal that date as it would "give the troublemakers' time to prepare".

Earlier this month, Cllr Jim O'Callaghan submitted a motion to Dublin City Council expressing opposition to the march, though councillors did not get to vote on it as the meeting ran out of time.

Bands

Mr Frazer said that gardai had asked him to reduce the number of bands present in the march and that he expected "about 200 to 300 people" to join the march through O'Connell Street to Leinster House.

A similar march in 2006 was abandoned after hundreds of protesters rioted and threw missiles.

hnews@herald.ie

Online Editors

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News