Lorraine Keane holed up in safe house as riots erupt in Haiti
Published 10/12/2010 | 05:00
BROADCASTER Lorraine Keane remained stranded in Haiti last night after civil unrest erupted in the country.
The former TV3 star was flown out to the Caribbean by charity Trocaire on Monday to visit projects aimed at rebuilding the country following January's devastating earthquake.
However, after one day, the 37-year-old was forced to seek shelter in her Port-au-Prince hotel after four people died and thousands took to the streets in a wave of unrest against election results they say were rigged by the ruling coalition.
"Our trip has been turned upside down," Ms Keane told the Irish Independent from Haiti. "We've been held up in the hotel for the whole day. They are rioting outside the hotel."
It was hoped the UN-backed elections, held on November 28, would create a stable leadership for Haiti but capital Port-au-Prince descended into chaos when presidential candidate Michel Martelly failed to qualify for an election run-off.
Ms Keane said all flights to and from the country had been grounded.
"We have moved from the hotel to a safe house," she said later.