Little boys killed in blaze to be buried side by side
Published 05/11/2011 | 05:00
TWO little boys who died in a tragic Halloween house fire will be buried side by side today.
Cian (2) and Calvin (4) Ellard-Punch died after being trapped in their home at Elm Park, Wilton, Co Cork, after a fire erupted in the kitchen shortly before 4am last Sunday.
The fire -- which is believed to have been caused by an electrical fault or the cooker -- resulted in Stacey Ellard and her two children being unable to escape an upstairs bedroom.
Neighbours bravely smashed down the door and window of the house -- but due to heat and smoke could not reach the mother and children.
Firefighters had to use breathing apparatus to rescue the trio. The smoke and fumes were so dense that firefighters were blinded -- and had to search for the mother and children by touch.
Cian was pronounced dead shortly after admission to Cork University Hospital (CUH) last Sunday morning.
Calvin fought for his life for four days before dying on Wednesday afternoon.
Both will be buried in a private ceremony following Mass of the Angels at the Church of the Way of the Cross in Togher at 2pm today.
Their mother, Stacey (26) who was found unconscious in an upstairs bedroom with both boys shielded in her arms, is expected to be discharged from CUH to attend the funerals.
She had been in the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) of CUH but was moved to a general ward two days ago when her condition improved.
Her partner, Ricky Punch, has maintained a vigil at her bedside.
A special fund at Permanent TSB's Bishopstown branch has now been set up for the couple and Cork radio station 96FM was deluged with calls offering help and donations.
Fianna Fail leader and local TD Micheal Martin admitted the entire area was numbed by the scale of the tragedy.