independent

Thursday 24 April 2014

Limerick family lucky to be alive after home engulfed in flames on Christmas Eve

Firefighters are tackling a blaze in central Dublin
Firefighters are tackling a blaze

A LIMERICK family are lucky to be alive after their home was engulfed in flames on Christmas Eve.

Speaking to Joe Duffy on Radio One this afternoon, a mother who identified herself as Suzanne revealed how they lost their home.

 “I came home I was out getting the last bits for Santa Clause, my husband had been with his sister and I thought he’d came home and put on the fire because I could see the smoke coming out the chimney.

“We had no inkling anything was wrong, we had no smell of burning or reason to believe anything was wrong until all this started in the blink of an eye”.

 “I thought I might have left the ham on because we could hear the smoke alarm.”

She told of how her son went into the house, and was lucky to avoid serious injury after he was caught near a backdraft.

“God help me, God didn’t want us yet. If it happened any later we wouldn’t have had any chance at all.

The family were left with nothing after the fire ripped through the house.

“All our possessions gone, nothing left but the clothes on our back. I didn’t realise how bad it was until the firemen went in and watered down everything. I’ll never forget the devastation. All I have are the walls and the roof.”

She also revealed due to the economic climate the family were forced to cancel their house insurance in October – and that her insurance company has revealed there is nothing they can do.

Also in this Section

Classifieds

CarsIreland

Independent Shopping.ie

Meet, chat and connect with
singles in your area

Independent Shopping.ie

Meet Singles Now

Findajob

Apps

Now available on

Independent.ie on Twitter

More

Most Read

Daily Deals

Independent Gallery

Your photos

Send us your weather photos promo

Celebrity News