News Irish News

Wednesday 17 September 2014

'Lethal' levels of ecstasy in man at Phoenix Park gig, inquest told

Gareth Naughton

Published 01/11/2013 | 01:55

  • Share
Adrian Brophy
Shane Brophy
Yvonne Byrne who gave evidence at the inquest

FRIENDS of a man who died after taking ecstasy at a concert at the Phoenix Park told an inquest that he was "rambling" and talking to people who were not there.

  • Share
  • Go To

Shane Brophy (21), from The Swan, Crettyard in Co Laois, died at Connolly Hospital, Blanchardstown, on July 8 last year. He had been seen taking ecstasy when he attended the controversial Swedish House Mafia gig in the park just hours before.

Dublin Coroner's Court heard that Mr Brophy, who had recently returned from America, travelled from Laois to attend the concert with a number of friends.

Yvonne Byrne told the court that she saw Mr Brophy taking cocaine as the group walked down the quays to the concert.

He had been given the cocaine the previous night by her then-boyfriend Anthony Kirwan, she said, but lost the drug before arriving at the Phoenix Park.

She also saw him buying "pills" at the concert from someone she did not recognise, she told the coroner, and when she last saw him he seemed to have taken a lot of them.

"He was in a ball," she said.

Mr Brophy was staying at the Lucan apartment of his friend James McHugh that night. Mr McHugh's brother Michael McHugh said that he did not see Mr Brophy taking drugs at the concert but as they were heading home he could see that he "wasn't in a great way".

COCAINE

As they waited for a bus, he turned around and saw Mr Brophy lying on the ground with his trousers around his ankles.

"He was sweating and shaking and his jaw was rattling. He was rolling around on the ground and was talking to himself. He was talking to people that were not there," he said.

The McHugh brothers got Mr Brophy dressed and flagged down a taxi to take them back to the apartment in Lucan. James McHugh said that at the apartment the Mr Brophy "wasn't in good shape".

He gave him water but became worried when he saw him sweating, he said, and called an ambulance.

Mr Brophy was taken to Connolly Hospital where he died later that morning.

Pathologist Dr Muna Sabah said that the toxicology report showed a "lethal" level of ecstasy in his system. Cocaine was also present. She gave the cause of death as drug toxicity involving "ecstasy and possibly cocaine".

Detective Garda Patrick Traynor said that Mr Brophy purchased pills and more cocaine at the concert from an individual he has been unable to identify.

A file was forwarded to the director of public prosecutions who indicated that no prosecutions would follow.

The inquest was adjourned to December 9, to hear evidence from doctors who treated Mr Brophy at Connolly Hospital.

This is the second drug-related death following the Swedish House Mafia concert to come before the Dublin coroner this year.

In June, a verdict of death by misadventure was returned at the inquest into the death of Lee Scanlon (20) from Clonsilla, Dublin 15, who died from ecstasy toxicity.

Irish Independent

Read More

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News