Kinahan and sons face four years in custody
CHRISTY Kinahan and his two sons have been remanded in custody by a judge investigating their alleged €1bn criminal organisation, a Spanish court confirmed yesterday.
Kinahan's alleged right-hand man John Cunningham (58) has been released on bail but has been banned from leaving Spain, the court said.
A statement released by the Andalusian higher court of justice said all 18 people questioned by Judge Maria Carmen Gutierrez Henares last week have been made formal suspects in the probe.
They are all being investigated by the judge in the Costa del Sol town of Estepona for crimes including drug trafficking, money-laundering and falsifying documents.
The statement said: "The court in Estepona has taken statements from 18 people in relation to the operation against the Irish mafia. All of them are formally suspected of money-laundering, drug trafficking and falsifying documents."
The judge took statements from eight suspects last Thursday evening. Those eight were all released on bail and obliged to reappear at court on the first and 15th days of each month, the statement said.
The following day six more people were grilled amid tight security at the court in southern Spain. Two of them were remanded in custody, one was released on bail and two were told they would be remanded in custody unless they pay €60,000 bail.
The court said Dubliner Kinahan (53) and his two sons, Daniel and Christopher Jnr, had been remanded in custody after appearing on Saturday.
Suspects can be held for up to two years without being charged, or four years for more serious offences. Kinahan, his two sons, and Cunningham were among 22 people arrested last Tuesday on the Costa del Sol following a two-year operation -- codenamed Shovel -- by Spanish, Irish and British police.