Kenny to set up probe into garda sex abuse claims
Published 03/05/2014 | 02:30
Taoiseach Enda Kenny is expected to order an investigation into allegations that a young woman was sexually abused by a serving garda.
The woman's claims were passed to Mr Kenny by Fianna Fail leader Micheal Martin who met her in his Dail office earlier this week.
Last month the Irish Independent revealed how the 22-year-old woman claims that her allegations were not properly investigated by gardai and that the incident was then covered up. It has also emerged that the complaint was never recorded on the garda Pulse system.
The woman had an hour-long meeting with the Fianna Fail leader on Wednesday when she asked him to include her case in a dossier Mr Martin handed over to the Taoiseach in February.
A spokesman for Mr Martin confirmed the meeting had taken place. "The woman concerned has made serious allegations about the incident when she met with Mr Martin," he said.
"He listened closely to what she had to say and he took her allegations very seriously and he has written to the Taoiseach."
Mr Kenny acknowledged receipt of the information from the Fianna Fail leader yesterday.
The woman claims that her allegations were not properly investigated by gardai because the officer in charge of the inquiry worked with her alleged attacker and her father, who is also a serving garda.
It is understood that she is also due to meet with investigators from the Garda Siochana Ombudsman Commission and with a solicitor with a view to commencing a civil action against the garda concerned.
"I was delighted to meet with Mr Martin and he listened closely to what I had to say," the woman told the Irish Independent.
"I told him that my case had not been investigated properly and gave him the details of the garda involved and how I believed it had not been conducted properly," she added.
The woman first made the allegations against the garda in 2006 when she was 14 – the abuse allegedly took place when she was six.
The officer concerned worked with her father and the allegations were investigated by a senior officer who worked with her father and the alleged attacker.
A file was sent to the DPP who decided the officer did not have a case to answer.
The woman came forward as a result of the whistleblower controversy and allegations of systemic malpractice in the investigation of serious crimes, including sex abuse cases.
"I think Mr Martin could see the seriousness of this when I laid out the facts to him.
"I told him that it is my belief that the case was swept under the carpet and covered up and he was very concerned at that."