Wednesday 7 December 2016

Job cuts: Culling 2,000 jobs in local authorities would save €94m

Anne-Marie Walsh Industry Correspondent

Published 24/07/2010 | 05:00

THE Government has been told it can save €94m a year by cutting more than 2,000 jobs in local authorities.

  • Go To

A new report recommends the Government slash senior and middle management positions, and employees in planning and roads as well as surplus staff when new administrative areas are set up.

However, the report says its proposals should be brought in within the terms of the Croke Park deal, which means compulsory redundancies cannot be used to reduce the workforce.

Instead, it suggests the agreement's redeployment plan be used to move departing staff to other positions within local authorities, or other parts of the public sector. Many workers will not be replaced, but hundreds of other jobs will be filled by workers on more junior grades and lower wages.

There are 32,252 full-time jobs in local authorities, after a reduction of 5,000 workers due to a government ban on recruitment since March of last year.

The Independent Local Government Efficiency Review Group proposes that at least 2,000 positions go by shedding:



  • County and city managers by 30pc. Job losses: 10.
  • Directors by 20pc. Job losses: 50.
  • Senior and middle managers (administrative and professional) by 15pc, replaced with the same number of staff at more junior levels. Job losses: 222 in senior management, 545 in middle management.
  • Senior engineers and planners by 15pc, with an identical increase in staff at technicial, craftworker and general services supervisor level. Job losses: 184 in senior management and 313 in middle grades.
  • Staff by setting up 10 joint administrative areas in 20 councy and city council areas, under single managers, with staff redeployed. Job losses: 170
  • Staff in six of the remaining local authorities by 5pc, and redeploying them. Job losses: 50.
  • Planning staff by 10pc. Job losses: Up to 171.
  • Roads staff. Job losses: 250


Embargo

SIPTU welcomed the report's acceptance that its recommendations are enforced within the terms of the Croke Park deal.

Meanwhile, it has been revealed that state-funded county enterprise boards have lost 15pc of their staff due to the embargo on recruitment.

Chairman of the County Enterprise Board Network Michael Tunney said seven of the 35 boards would be without a chief executive by the end of the year.

In addition, the boards have been unable to distribute grants to companies due to cuts in funding by the Department of Enterprise, Trade and Innovation.

A total of 70 of 547 approved grants have been deferred due to lack of funds. "In a country that is badly in need of jobs this can make no sense," said Mr Tunney.

Irish Independent

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News